Ellen Lupton, award-winning author of Thinking with Type and How Posters Work, demonstrates how storytelling shapes great design
Good design, like good storytelling, brings ideas to life. The latest book from award-winning writer Ellen Lupton is a playbook for creative thinking, showing designers how to use storytelling techniques to create satisfying graphics, products, services and experiences. Whether crafting a digital app or a data-rich publication, designers invite people to enter a scene and explore what’s there. An intriguing logo, page layout or retail space uses line, shape and form to lead users on dynamic journeys.
Design Is Storytelling explores the psychology of visual perception from a narrative point of view. Presenting dozens of tools and concepts in a lively, visual manner, this book will help any designer amplify the narrative power of their work. Use this book to stir emotions, build empathy, articulate values and convey action; to construct narrative arcs and create paths through space; integrate form and language; evaluate a project’s storytelling power; and to write and deliver strong narratives.
Ellen Lupton is the author of numerous books on design, including Graphic Design: The New Basics (2008), Thinking with Type (2004, second edition 2010), Graphic Design Thinking (2011), Beautiful Users: Designing for People (2014) and Type on Screen (2014), How Posters Work(2015) and Beauty―Cooper Hewitt Design Triennial (2016). She is Senior Curator of Contemporary Design at Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum in New York City, and director of the Graphic Design MFA program at MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art) in Baltimore. She received the AIGA Gold Medal for Lifetime Achievement in 2007.
Material: Paperback, 160 pages
Publisher: Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum (November 21, 2017)
Product Dimensions: 6.5 x 0.6 x 8.5 inches
Shipping & In-store Pickup
In-store pick up:
- In-store pick-up is available everyday from 12 pm - 6 pm at 41 Orchard Street, New York.
- You can choose this option at the check-out section. After placing the order, you will receive an automated email when your order is ready for pick-up, usually within 24hrs.
Domestic US Shipping:
- We provide free domestic US shipping for orders over $100 (2-10 business days).
- Express Shipping (1-2 business days) is also available at checkout for an additional cost.
- All orders will be processed within (2) business days upon payment approval. Orders placed after 4 pm will be processed the next day.
- International shipping is available for all destinations via APC, Aramex, Asendia, Flat Export Rate, Global Post, SFExpress, SkyPostal, USPS, FedEx, UPS, or DHL. Best carrier options will be given at check out according to your package weights, dimensions, and typical item cost.
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions in destination countries and with customs clearance, expect delays in customs processing and delivery times. Tracking will be updated with the most current information as it is available.
Replacement & Return
Initiate Replacement or Return via this PORTAL (beta). If you wish to exchange an item, please follow the return process.
Items NOT eligible for return or refund:
- Items received or picked up after 14 days of purchase. Lingerie, socks, masks, art and books
- SALE items, unless you purchase Seel Return Assurance. You can purchase Seel Return Assurance at checkout if you want the option to return and receive a refund. If you choose to not purchase Seel Return Assurance, the sale is final. You can learn more about Seel Return Assurance here.
If you purchase Seel Return Assurance for eligible items in your order, please use the Seel Return Portal to return your eligible items.
For Defective or Incorrect Items
Initiate Replacement or Return via this PORTAL (beta) within 3 days upon delivery. Once we approve your request we will waive all shipping fees occur.
To Receive a Refund
- Submit a refund request, wait for approval, send the item back. If you choose to use carriers of your choice, please send us the tracking number at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The customer is responsible for return shipping charges unless the item is defective or incorrect. We are not responsible for any damaged, lost or stolen package during shipping. Please contact the carrier if any of the above situations occurs.
- Return packages must include all original tags and accompanying packaging. Incomplete packaging will result in 5% - 10% fee.
- No restocking fees will be charged.
- We will issue a refund within 5 days of receiving and verifying the package.
- We reserve the right to refuse any returned item that does not meet our return policies.