The photographs in Pixy Liao’s photobook “Experimental Relationship Vol. 1.1” are a humorous yet sincere examination of Liao’s relationship with a younger man.
Raised in China, Liao had been brought up with the expectation that she will be the younger, less responsible part of a relationship. In the end, she got together with Moro, a man five years her junior. This divergence from the authority and power dynamic she had expected becomes a central part of her playful and very charming series.
This book is mainly a collection of photos from Experimental Relationship project from 2007 to 2017. As a woman brought up in China, I used to think I could only love someone who is older and more mature than me, who can be my protector and mentor. Then I met my current boyfriend, Moro. Since he is 5 years younger than me, I felt that whole concept of relationships changed, all the way around. I became the person who has more authority & power. One of my male friends even questioned how I could choose a boyfriend the way a man would choose a girlfriend. And I thought, “Damn right! That’s exactly what I’m doing, & why not?!”
I started seriously thinking about the significance of this relationship, and experimenting with photographs. My photos explore the alternative possibilities of heterosexual relationships. Moro made me realize that heterosexual relationship doesn’t need to be standardized. Depending on the individuals, every two people will have a different type of relationship. Even if the relationship is not the type we are familiar with, it still exists and has its own benefits. The purpose of this experiment is to break the inherent relationship model and reach a new equilibrium. Because Moro is Japanese, and I am Chinese, this project also describes a love-hate relationship. I plan to continue this project as long as we are together. I hope this is the first collection of photos of severals to follow.
Book Size: 260 x 168 x 15 mm
Pages: 160 pages
Publication Date: March 2021
Limited Edition: 500
Shipping & In-store Pickup
In-store pick up:
- In-store pick-up is available everyday from 12 pm - 6 pm at 41 Orchard Street, New York.
- You can choose this option at the check-out section. After placing the order, you will receive an automated email when your order is ready for pick-up, usually within 24hrs.
Domestic US Shipping:
- We provide free domestic US shipping for orders over $100 (2-10 business days).
- Express Shipping (1-2 business days) is also available at checkout for an additional cost.
- All orders will be processed within (2) business days upon payment approval. Orders placed after 4 pm will be processed the next day.
- International shipping is available for all destinations via APC, Aramex, Asendia, Flat Export Rate, Global Post, SFExpress, SkyPostal, USPS, FedEx, UPS, or DHL. Best carrier options will be given at check out according to your package weights, dimensions, and typical item cost.
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions in destination countries and with customs clearance, expect delays in customs processing and delivery times. Tracking will be updated with the most current information as it is available.
Replacement & Return
Initiate Replacement or Return via this PORTAL (beta). If you wish to exchange an item, please follow the return process.
Items NOT eligible for return or refund:
- Items received or picked up after 14 days of purchase. Lingerie, socks, masks, art and books
- SALE items, unless you purchase Seel Return Assurance. You can purchase Seel Return Assurance at checkout if you want the option to return and receive a refund. If you choose to not purchase Seel Return Assurance, the sale is final. You can learn more about Seel Return Assurance here.
If you purchase Seel Return Assurance for eligible items in your order, please use the Seel Return Portal to return your eligible items.
For Defective or Incorrect Items
Initiate Replacement or Return via this PORTAL (beta) within 3 days upon delivery. Once we approve your request we will waive all shipping fees occur.
To Receive a Refund
- Submit a refund request, wait for approval, send the item back. If you choose to use carriers of your choice, please send us the tracking number at email@example.com
- The customer is responsible for return shipping charges unless the item is defective or incorrect. We are not responsible for any damaged, lost or stolen package during shipping. Please contact the carrier if any of the above situations occurs.
- Return packages must include all original tags and accompanying packaging. Incomplete packaging will result in 5% - 10% fee.
- No restocking fees will be charged.
- We will issue a refund within 5 days of receiving and verifying the package.
- We reserve the right to refuse any returned item that does not meet our return policies.